ENJOY THE RIDE
Here’s a fact: cycling is gaining pace among women. In the past five years, it’s skyrocketed in popularity and is now considered to be one of the top sports for females. Although only 10-15 per cent of the current market are women, numbers are growing fast and companies such as Canyon now claim that the growth rate of interest from women aged 35 to 50 is impressive.
It appeals on so many levels – for socialising, competing and keeping fit – but, whatever your goal, it pays to keep your rides varied. ‘Don’t just go out and ride at an even pace, mix it up with sprint or hill intervals,’ says Beaumont. ‘I’ll often do sessions where I go from spinning my legs in a low gear, to going as fast as possible. Or I’ll do hill repeats to really test the legs and lungs. Other times, I take the mountain bike out and just explore the woodlands for fun.’ There’s a wide range of training tactics you can use, so, to stay interested, mix it up.
Cycling on Travel Photo Gallery
RELAX OR RIDE
E-biking is the activity du jour. It might sound like cheating, but having an electric motor to assist your ride offers big benefits, including covering more distance in less time – even pro riders are using e-bikes to add interest to training. E-bikes are also loved by commuters. ‘The assistance stops you from arriving at work all hot and sweaty,’ says Alicia Wheatley, communications manager at Raleigh UK. ‘Turn the assistance up on the way to work and have it lower on the way home.’ And it’s great for the injury prone, too, as it’s really low impact. Here’s our pick of the latest e-rides.
Maybe You Like Them Too
- For Some of Us, Lazing on a Beach Simply Won’t Cut it From Skiing to Safari, This is Serious Adventure on Tap
- The Sport of the Gael 80 years of the BBC and the Bught
- 7 Hottest Beauty Products for Look Good And Feel Amazing On Travel
- WHETHER YOU WANT TO LAZILY LOUNGE BY THE SHORES OF LAKE GARDA OR FANCY A HISTORY-MEETS GLAMOUR MINI-BREAK IN VENICE, ITALY HAS IT ALL
- Best Islands In Maldives For Honeymoon You Must See In 2019